Seasonal Street Worker
Starts April 2017 in Bay City, MI
JOB SUMMARY : Under general supervision, performs a variety of skilled, semi-skilled or unskilled tasks in the construction, maintenance, repair of streets, storm drains, sidewalks, and related public works facilities; painting of traffic markings and fabrication of traffic and street signs; and operate light and moderately heavy power driven equipment.
JOB DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Works as part of a streets maintenance crew; patch and seal cracks and perform other maintenance to streets and roads.
- Operate licensed vehicles, including pickup trucks, light and medium duty trucks, single-axle and double-axle heavy duty construction/dump trucks.
- Cleans and removes debris from streets, gutters, storm drains, catch basins, sidewalks, and street construction sites by shoveling, raking, sweeping, and picking up debris.
- Breaks up pavements, digs holes, cuts trenches, fills in holes in streets and other paved surfaces, using sledge hammer, shovel, spade, rake, hoe, hand tools or jackhammer; patches and paves streets and other paved surfaces.
- Loads, transports, and unloads construction equipment, materials, debris, and other heavy objects related to street maintenance, using appropriate vehicle and/or tractor.
- Paints traffic markings on streets, crosswalks, parking lots, curbs, using stencils, legends, striping and taping equipment.
- Sets up traffic control including signs and barricades; and directs traffic around work sites
- Performs routine preventive maintenance on equipment as necessary
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Ability to interact with residents and members of the public in a courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to perform required job duties in a safe and responsible manner.
- Good communication skills; ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- High degree of visual and manual dexterity for sustained periods of time.
- Work requires regular in-person attendance.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and carry out assigned job tasks.
- Ability to maintain positive working relationships with the public and other employees.
- Ability to work effectively under time constraints and pressure.
- Ability to use required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as needed.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Possession of a valid State of Michigan Driver’s License and safe driving record at time of appointment.
- Must possess and maintain a valid State of Michigan Driver’s License with a CDL Group B designation and have passed the Air Brakes knowledge test to receive the Air Brake endorsement.
- Good mechanical and technical skills required.
- The use of appropriate safety clothing and protective footwear (steel-toe or equivalent) and meet federal (ANSI Z41.1) standards at all times
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.