- Position starts April 2nd through November, Need a CDL Driver License
JOB DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Inspects assigned refuse truck prior to beginning routes to ensure safe operating conditions.Reports mechanical problems, malfunctions, defects, or any other problems to supervisor. Drives trucks along established routes through residential streets and alleys, or through business and industrial areas. Drives to disposal sites to empty trucks that have been filled. Dismounts refuse trucks to collect garage, recyclables, and yard waste material and remounts trucks to ride to the next collection point. Cleans trucks and compactor bodies after routes have been completed. Operated mechanisms for loading, compressing, and dumping refuse material. Communicates with dispatchers concerning delays, unsafe sites, accidents, equipment breakdowns, and other maintenance problems. Assists with collections of large solid waste items such as discarded appliances, furniture, and other materials. Tag garbage or recycling containers to inform customers of problems such as excess garbage or inclusion of items that are not permitted. Assists with periodic streets maintenance or cleanup as assigned.
- Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to interact with residents and members of the public in a courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical work for long periods of time and ability to withstand all types of adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to coordinate two or more limbs while sitting, standing, or lying down
- Ability to operate required equipment in a safe and responsible manner
- Good communication skills; ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions including the ability to learn collection routes and schedules.
- Ability to work effectively under time constraints.
- May be required to work late and on an occasional Saturday.
- High degree of visual and manual dexterity for sustained periods of time.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Possession of valid CDL-B with airbrakes endorsement required at time of appointment.
- Possession of valid State of Michigan MDOT Medical certification at time of appointment.
- Good mechanical and technical skills required.